We have established community consultative committees for Port Botany, Port Kembla and Enfield ILC which meet regularly to exchange information about operational and development activities and community issues. We also keep the community updated by publishing information on our website, social media and community newsletters.
We maintain a community sponsorships and donations program to support local initiatives by non-profit organisations.
“We have established community consultative committees for Port Botany, Port Kembla and Enfield ILC which meet regularly to exchange information about operational and development activities and community issues.”
Sustainability actions for Our Community Action
- Provide sponsorships and donations to organisations that benefit local communities and the environment
- Complete the regional tour of the public exhibition Container: the Box that Changed the World
- Establish a forum for regularly communicating and collaborating on sustainability initiatives with port and intermodal tenants
- Undertake a stakeholder and community perception survey of NSW Ports business
- Regularly host community consultative committees at Port Botany, Port Kembla and Enfield
- Continue to host collaborative sustainability events (such as Business Clean Up Australia Day) with staff and tenants at our ports
The Gabriella Memorial
In 2016 NSW Ports installed a new memorial and hosted a commemorative service to mark the 30th anniversary of the Gabriella incident at Port Kembla. The Gabriella capsized suddenly while unloading heavy cargo in August 1986, resulting in the deaths of two marine surveyors who were trapped on board at the time.
Family members of one of the deceased surveyors, and many workers who were involved in the incident response, attended the commemorative service which was held at the newly relocated memorial in Port Kembla Heritage Park.